SmartFem plastic surgery expert Dr. Richard “Rick” Brown talks about facelifts and five things candidates should consider before going through with the procedure. Dr. Rick is a board certified plastic surgeon available for consultations in Scottsdale, Arizona and can be reached at (480) 947-2455.
Facelifts can take years, sometimes even decades off of your face. When done correctly they can do wonders for your self esteem. But how do you know when it’s time, or if you’re even a good candidate for the procedure?
Here are five things to consider before having plastic surgery:
- Have my non-surgical options run out? There are so many great fillers and neurotoxins on the market today that can do miracles for the face and neck. These products directly target fine lines, wrinkles and depressions in the face due to lack of volume. Have you consulted with a board certified plastic surgeon and taken advantage of all of these great options? Fillers that combat hollowness and products that temporarily prohibit facial muscles from creating lines are a great place to start and can make a dramatic difference.
- Facelifts entail significant downtime. Expect to spend about 10-14 days resting and out of the public eye. You will be bruised and swollen and you may have a drain for a day. Do you have the time to spend resting and recuperating and do you have a caregiver that can lend a hand?
- Good skincare makes a world of difference. Properly washing your face and using good, quality skincare products makes a huge difference to your skin. Patients that have established a good routine prior to surgery and taken care of their skin will be even more pleased with their facelift surgery. Similarly, continuing with medical grade products after facelift surgery can prolong your results.
- Facelifts don’t last forever. You can expect your results to last several years, but sadly, as time goes on, you will experience changes to your face. Factors such as age at time of surgery, skin elasticity, skin quality, weight gain or loss and genetics all play a part in the longevity of your facelift.
- What are your concerns? It is so important to find a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust and can discuss your areas of concerns. When consulting in our office expect to spend a big portion of the consultation going over what bothers you most and what can realistically be obtained through plastic surgery. We want to establish realistic expectations so you will be thrilled with your results. If we don’t think that you are a good candidate for a facelift, we will discuss alternatives with you at your consultation.
Going through with a procedure such as a facelift is a big decision that should not be made without considering your options first. While some individuals do require the procedure in order to fix aging skin, others can see amazing results by simply using the correct skincare or fillers. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to help find what your best options are.