SmartFem® Magazine for Women - Phoenix, Arizona                   -- Subscribe to SmartFemNews Feed

Home, Casualty and Auto Insurance Experts – Perimeter Group

Home, Casualty and Auto Insurance Experts – Perimeter Group 5.00/5 1 vote

Shopping for Auto Insurance, Homeowners Insurance, or Casualty Insurance?

Perimeter Group Property and Casualty Insurance ExpertiseThe Perimeter Group is an independent insurance agency that provides you with access to over twenty (20) top-rated national carriers for the best coverage at the best price for your Auto Insurance, Homeowners Insurance, and  Casualty Insurance needs.  So instead of being held “captive” by one insurance carrier’s products and rates, we shop multiple carriers for you to find an insurer that best fits your budget and servicing requirements.  It is important to know that not all carriers provide the same coverage or have the same rates.  You can save money and increase your coverage by looking at different companies.

Customer ServiceWe have carefully chosen to represent only those carriers who have received an A or better rating from industry recognized A.M. Best for being financially strong for the long term.  So whether you need personal lines insurance for your home, rental property, auto, ATV/RV, motorcycle or boat or commercial insurance coverage for business, general liability, commercial auto, E&O, bonds or workers compensation the Perimeter Group is your ONE source for all insurance needs.

Perimeter Group Insurance Represented CompaniesHere are some of the top-rated companies in our carrier portfolio:

The Perimeter Group

Map it!17797 N Perimeter Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
Contact Perimeter Group
Phone: 480-951-5933   FAX: 480-563-4125Perimeter Group


Property and Casualty Insurance Expertise

Provided by The Perimeter Group

As a “captive” insurance agent for many years some of the major drawbacks I continually ran into, was having few options for my clients to consider for their insurance coverage. Many times I had one pricing option to offer and sometimes no option because my carrier did not provide the coverage a client needed. Over time I realized that to be a true “full service” insurance agency I had to change from a “captive’ one-size fits all agency to an independent one that offers a portfolio of carriers and coverage options.

Insurance Products from Perimeter GroupIn doing so, The Perimeter Group has expanded its expertise in the insurance field by having access to over twenty top-rated carriers in the personal and commercial insurance areas. It is through our association with many different carriers we learned how different the policies and coverage are among the insurance carriers. Thus, by understanding all the nuances of the different carriers and coverage options available we can truly recommend what is the BEST carrier and coverage for our clients. Get a Free Rate Quote from Perimeter GroupNow, when I or one of my staff evaluate the parameters of their insurance needs we can objectively assess a client’s situation and provide them with the best solution for their insurance needs that balances the premium cost along with the best coverage for the need at hand.

The Perimeter Group is one of the few Arizona insurance agencies that offers a true “one-stop” shopping experience for its clients along with unsurpassed service. We are all licensed, professionals so clients can feel assured they will be serviced by knowledgeable advisors trained in the Property and Casualty insurance industry. All our staff are required to complete Continuing Education with the state of Arizona and attend regular education seminars with all our carriers to remain current with insurance laws and coverage options.

About  Perimeter Group

What Kind of Water Damage Is Covered by Homeowners Insurance?

May 13, 2013 by  
Filed under Finance, SmartFem featured content, Tech

What Kind of Water Damage Is Covered by Homeowners Insurance? 5.00/5 1 vote homeowners insurance claims are water related. Yet many policyholders are unaware of what is covered and what is not covered by their homeowners insurance policy.

Unfortunately, a lot of confusion and hard feelings result when policyholders try to file a claim only to find out that the damage caused as a result of a water event is not covered or only partially covered by their homeowners policy.

It is imperative that policyholders ask their agent what is covered and read their policy as to what is covered and what is excluded with regard to water damage. Not all policies are the same. So sometimes that cheaper policy you think you are getting a great bargain on results in creating a lot of holes in your homeowners insurance coverage.

So what water damage events are typically covered by homeowners insurance? For the most part, homeowners insurance will cover water claims that arise from “sudden and accidental” occurrences and not neglect, wear and tear or normal maintenance that is the responsibility of the insured.

For example, water entering the home through leaks, cracks and seepage are considered to be the responsibility of the owner and should be prevented through routine home maintenance.

Similarly, water entering through a roof that has shingles and tiles that have not been maintained for a good number of years is the responsibility of the homeowners. While the resulting damage to carpet, flooring and dry wall may be covered by the insurance carrier the slab, foundation and roof would not be covered.

Here are some common water-related events that may or may not be covered:

1) Burst water heaters and pipes. Generally, these are covered by the homeowners policy for both the water heater and pipes and the resulting damage to walls, flooring and home furnishings. However, none is covered if the house is unoccupied and/or without heat. If this is the case the claim will likely be denied.

2) Overflow from a backyard pool. If damage is the result of a rainstorm or tree falling on the pump the policy should cover the damage to the pool and water damage to the home caused by the rainstorm. However, there is a smaller dollar amount for damages available for lawns, trees, shrubs and landscaping. Also, if the cause is from a flash flood or river overflowing no coverage would be provided. A toilet, tub, sink overflows or a dishwasher explodes. The damage to the toilets, sinks, tubs and dishwasher as well as the water damage to home furnishings would be covered by the homeowners policy if it is determined to be “sudden or accidental.” Companies vary on the amount of mold damage included in this coverage so it is wise to check what amount is provided in your policy. One possibility where it would not be covered is when the blockage of the toilet, sink or tub was caused by sewer blockage. Then, the claim could be denied if Sewer back-up coverage is not part of the policy. See #4

4) Sewer back from drains and sump pumps. Many standard homeowners policies do not include this coverage. It might include Loss of Use Coverage but that’s all without this endorsement on the policy. Ask your agent if your policy includes this coverage. If not, the cost to add it typically runs $40 – $50 per year. A wise investment. If you are a business owner you might also want to consider having this for your office that you own or lease. Most homeowners and business owners are unaware that they are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the sewer line that runs between their building and the sewer main.

5) Water from a rainstorm. Most insurers will not pay for roof repairs because this is considered to be a maintenance problem. It would, however, cover the damage inside the home caused by the water damage. If the damage to the roof was caused by wind, hail or something like a falling tree then the repairs to the roof would be covered.

6) Damage from a wash or river that overflows. Flood damage is NOT covered by a homeowners policy. You need to purchase a separate policy from the federal government for this coverage. You can easily obtain this coverage from your insurance agent.

7) In-home fire sprinklers and air-conditioning/heating unit burst pipes. These are typically covered in the homeowners policy, however, if neglect or improper use is found, there might be no coverage.

8) Large Water Spills. If a large fish tank or large bucket or cooler causes damage to flooring or dry wall it is typically covered in the homeowner’s policy.

9) Slow dripping water leaks. A slow pin hole leak in a pipe, a dripping ice maker in the refrigerator, a leaky toilet or an incorrectly sealed bath or shower will typically not be covered since it is considered negligence on the part of the homeowner.

Many times people ask if they should make repairs immediately in the event of water damage. Generally, you should make the necessary repairs to protect your property from further damage. If possible, take pictures of the damage before making temporary repairs.

When calling your carrier to make your claim, consult with them as to what additional repairs you can make before an insurance adjuster comes to inspect the damage. It is always wise to calculate the likely amount of your claim versus your homeowner’s insurance deductible. If it relatively close to this amount you might consider not filing the claim since the amount you receive from the insurance company is below what the increase in your premium will be from this claim.

The purpose of this article is to provide guidance with regard to water damage claims. Because there are so many different homeowner policies and carrier rules and regulations, it is imperative you read your application or policy and review it with your agent to make sure you have the coverage you expect and need for your home. Finding out you do not have insurance coverage for one of life’s biggest investments could cost you thousands of dollars unexpectedly when it comes time to file a claim.

Perimeter Group Property and Casualty Insurance Expertise

More Information…

 invites you to contact him or team anytime at Perimeter Group.  480-951-5933